ALIGNING YOUR BODY WITH YOUR MUSICAL INTENTION
WOULD YOU LIKE TO..
Playing an instrument is a physical activity, and even though we might have a very mental and emotional approach to the work as musicians, getting the body to fully express our musical intention will always be a fundamental challenge.
Nobody becomes a musician in order to have a safe 9 to 5 work situation. We become musicians because playing gives is a joy and pleasure which we wish to experience as much as possible. Knowledge which allows us to last as long as possible in our work is therefore vital, in addition to knowledge about what we can do specifically in order to achieve what we want musically, be that speed, position, control of timbre or simply access to the support of our body.
As a workgroup musicians score higher than other professions when it comes to both strain injuries in the musculoskeletal system and the occurrence of anxiety and depression related symptoms. There are many myths circulating as to why and how this is the case, but the fact remains that musicians are faced with very specific physiological and neurological demands and challenges. Therefore, as musicians we need detailed knowledge about the body and about the specific coordination between the mobilising and stabilising structures needed in order to play an instrument at a professional level.
Getting access to and training to master this coordination is a valuable tool both for music teachers and performers, amateurs and professional alike. The intention with Timani is to give musicians a concrete tool to help them use the body in a natural and healthy way while playing and singing. Through the training the body becomes an ally as opposed to an adversarial which for unclear reasons seems to act against us.
WHAT HAPPENS IN A TIMANI LESSON?
A Timani lesson usually starts with a talk about your unique situation and your wishes and intentions for trying Timani. Then we make a video recording of you playing your instrument/singing and the work of the lesson in based on what we observe here.
The first lesson always includes:
- A biomechanical movement analysis based on the video.
- An short introduction into fundamental anatomical and biomechanical knowledge in order for you to fully understand the observations made in the analysis.
- Exercises specifically designed to open up new possibilities of coordination in your body
- Implementation of new sensory- and motor skills into playing your instrument/singing
- A sum-up of your experiences with the work, and instructions and exercises to take home for further explorations
First session 90 min: 750,-. Regular session 60 min: 600,- (530 stud.) Discounts available
I teach at my home studio at Holmlia, about 25 min outside of the centre of Oslo. Accessible by bus, train or car.
I also regularly give classes, workshops, lectures and private lessons else where in Norway and abroad.
Check out my calender or send me a note if you wish to book a workshop, private lesson or weekend course.
THE SEVEN PILLARS OF TIMANI
- Anatomy and neurology of particular relevance to musicians
- Movement analysis for musicians
- Knowledge of the fascia system and its importance for musicians
- The physiological pre-requisites for a natural and healthy breath
- Practical appliance of ground force reaction in music playing
- The body-mind connection
- Focus and presence during practice and performance
SOME TESTIMONIALS FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVE ATTENDED TIMANI COURSES WORLDWIDE..
"During the course I had the chance to play for Miriam. She helped me find a posture that gave me a freedom in my hands that I have never experienced before. The sound was also full and warm without a lot of effort. I realized that maybe playing the viola is not so hard after all."
- Marina Stelina Siani, Viola student. Royal Danish Academy of Music
Find muscles and connections through your body that you didn´t know existed.
- Lars Harboe, singer, songwriter, artist, guitarist
Life changing and mind opening! Would absolutely recommend to friends and family, musicians or not!
- Maria Gïlicel, violin student at the Royal College of Music
Eye-opening! I’m even more curious now and I am looking forward to learn more.
- Jonna Järvitalo, flute student at the Royal College of Music
Timani is just what you need to bring your musicianship to the next level: It allows you to gain full control of that perfect machine that we use to express ourselves: our body.
- Pierpaolo Casamassima, violin student at Royal College of Music
Unmissable for musicians who want to learn more about themselves for their career.
- Christopher Quaid, violin student at the Royal College of Music
This method is the answer to enjoying music and discovering your potential as a musician and person.
- Sarah Daramy-Williams, violin student at the Royal College of Music
This course is extremely useful no matter what your instruments are or wherter you are a musician or not. It is knowledge that comes in handy in every area and I would not have missed it for anything. Highly recomended!
- Ingrid Halvorsen